Art by Cindy Walker

Art by Cindy Walker
"Life is too short to waste even a moment living in a way that makes you unhappy. Life is too short to put off living your dreams! Live, dream, discover, dance, sing, paint, sculpt, hug your kids, call your mom, blow bubbles, go to Paris or fly a kite... embrace the adventure of life and make it your own!" CW2010

Saturday, June 24, 2017

Bicycle Riding in The Blue Ridge Mountains - NOT!

My beautiful Dutch fiets in Ijsselstein
Ever since I was a child I have always loved riding a bicycle. I loved my first red tricycle, my 1969 hot pink high handlebar bike with the banana seat with flowers on it and a white basket, my 1970's Schwinn 10 speed racer, my big tire city cruiser I hauled back and forth with me every day to ride around campus when I commuted to college back in the 80's, my Univega Rover mountain bike I got in my 30's to ride with my crazy friends in Montana, and my beautiful but old Dutch fiets I had in the Netherlands. But mountain living has taken a toll on me, and my outdoor activities. So few weeks ago I sadly sold my beloved mountain bike that I had bought in Montana. I had stored it in the basement because it had a flat tire, but I took it out a couple of months ago and cleaned it up hoping to start riding again. With Ben's help, I replaced a tube in the back tire and oiled and adjusted everything. I was ready to ride! Sort of.... 

My Univega Rover Mountain Bike
Unfortunately, it really wasn't all that easy... because I am now over 20 years older... and I am fatter (not heavier, just less muscle compared to fat) I could not manage riding it comfortably or safely all hunched over on that narrow hard saddle and straddling that frame bar on the hilly rocky dirt road in front of my house. Sadly, I realized I certainly should not be riding it alone on the narrow, curvy, steep, mountain roads with no bike lanes where I live. So instead of continuing to try to find Ben a suitable bike to ride with me (he probably isn't up to it right now anyway due to his heart) I put it up for sale locally and it sold within a couple of weeks. But, I still needed to get more exercise... and the treadmill just isn't my thing... so what to do?

Marcy Recumbent Stationary Bike
Well, I found a sweet solution! I located a magnetic resistance stationary recumbent bike at a local thrift shop to ride indoors and I even came out $10 ahead on the deal. I've had it a couple of weeks now and of course it's not the same as having the wind in my hair and gliding down a bike path in the Netherlands, but I rode it 10 miles (16k) last night while watching TV for an hour and it seems a very good method of exercise since there is no 'coasting' only pedaling. I burned off enough calories to make up for what I had for dinner last night (woke up weighing 2 pounds lighter than I did yesterday morning!!!) and I know it will also build up some muscles because I can feel some soreness this morning in my calves! WOOT!


My dream bike is a Dutch fiets
By the time I finally get to the Netherlands and I am able to once again have a 'proper Dutch bicycle', I should be able to tackle even the longest commutes! And as a bonus maybe I finally will lose all this extra weight I have been carrying around the last 25 years since I sold my last horse :( (I still miss having horses though... too bad I can't afford an indoor horse simulator too!)

No comments:

Post a Comment